Thursday, March 10, 2022

Explosion of Words

 It's been so long since I've done an update on Jake. 

Life has been a whirlwind of activity. It always is, especially when he has six hours of ABA (Applied Behavioral Analysis). 


We're fighting insurance, and have been for months now.  Despite the fact that ABA is clinically proven to be effective for those with Down syndrome, insurance only wants to pay for those who have Autism. But six hours per day of ABA would mean nearly $2000/week in fees without insurance. 

Our doctor has given a diagnosis that insurance has said qualifies him for ABA, but they still won't pay for it.  It's been months and we're still fighting them. I'm not going to lie. I'm beginning to sweat. Any moment, I can get a phone call from our ABA provider cutting us off. 

I've tried to get a second opinion, and they're 18 months out for appointments. 

I have only one more person we can call.  We actually made an appointment with them four months ago, but they changed their registration proceedures and took us off the appointment list. So now we're starting all over again. 

Add COVID to the mix, and everything is getting done at a snail's pace. It's brutal. 

But do you know what isn't brutal? 

Jacob's recent explosion of words. 

Yes, so many new words!

Words like 'thank you' used to be signed by blowing a kiss. Now he says, 'dank you.'

Today, as we watched Abominable before bed, I heard words like "home" and "Buddah" "fish" "baby" "water" "whoop" "snake" and a few other words. He's actively using and practicing words. And he delights in seeing my reaction to each new word. 



Plus, he's beginning to see the power of words; telling me what he wants to watch rather than being forced to choose between two movies of my liking. Counting, and asking for ten more minutes before going to bed, or asking to play with his big brother. Asking for (chicken) "nuggets" when he's hungry, or a "smooth"(ie) if he wants something different. 

Last week, my husband and I went on vacation alone for the first time since Jake was born. Jake didn't like it. Our adult son was watching Jake and his sister for the week, and said that several times, Jake would come to him and sign simultaneously while saying, "you, me, drive, mom, dad, now." He wanted Nathan to drive him to get us from wherever we were. Right NOW. 



When I came home late Monday night, Jake was already asleep in bed. In his usual fasion, he stirred late in the evening, so I crawled into bed, and put my arm over him. He rolled over, opened his eyes, and looked up at me. A grin washed over his face and he said, "Ahh, Mamma." Then he wrapped his arms around my neck and hugged me until he fell back asleep. 

Life is good. 

Speech, when we hear it, is amazing. 

It's hard to believe Jake is no longer a child. He's an eleven year-old man-child with meaty hands, and mischevious grin.  And I love him to death!



No comments: