Friday, February 28, 2014

Are Those Words I Hear?

How can it be that it's been 4 MONTHS since my last post?!?!

Oh, that's right.  Life has a way of seeming to slip through your fingers at mock speed when you're the mother of four incredibly wonderful, but unbelievably different children.  Living life with an over-achiever 18-year old senior, a just-figuring-himself-out 14 year old, a precocious smarty-pants-wants-everyones-100%-attention 4-year old, and ever-curious-crazy-busy-wonderfully-delightful 3 year old sometimes takes its toll on me.  

But I wouldn't change a single minute of it for all the money in the world (don't quote me on that in the midst of the chaos though!)

Jacob is already 1/2 way through his first year of pre-school and the differences are startling to say the least.  Who knew that 2 1/2 hours per day, 4 days a week would make such a difference?  But boy howdy it has!
(Jacob's school picture)


Since school has begun, Jacob has finally begun to say words!!  I'm not saying he's speaking in full sentences or anything, but considering the fact that before pre-school we were lucky if he'd even make a sound, his attempts to vocalize are massive!


Although most of it would be considered merely grunts by the lay man (isn't that always the case when any child is beginning to speak?), he's been generous enough to accompany some of his words with their coordinating ASL sign as well.  Now Jake will not only wave good-bye, but say it as well.  As a fully intelligible word, mind you!  He also says "hi", "mom" (but only when he's mad and can't get my attention any other way), "Elisha" (sounding more like 'la la' - but I'll take it!), "Nate", "no", "dad" and my all time favorite: "three" - which is usually because he is COUNTING to three!!!! Woohoo! 


In addition to the awe-inspiring phenomenon we dub 'speaking' I've noticed that Jake has mellowed.  Yes, MELLOWED!  This is the little boy who wakes up and hits the ground running full-speed from area to area creating disaster faster than a Level 5 tornado.  If you take a moment and watch, one cannot help but marvel at his efficiency.  It's quite impressive, actually, how someone so little can create so much destruction in such a little time. 

This too, has diminished significantly over the last few months.  When we left Children F.I.R.S.T. one of the goals they had for him was to have Jacob sit at an activity for 3 whole minutes before losing interest.  To date, I have seen him "read" books, color, sit for an entire meal at dinner, and, as I write, he is sitting at the back sliding glass doors staring out at the newly fallen snow covering our back yard.  - Oops!  I spoke too soon.  He's now pushing his chair to the cupboards to see if he can pour the cereal out onto the floors!...and now into the living room where he's knocking off all the throw pillows (sigh).  OK, he's not PERFECT!  But his attention span (for things he's interested in) has increased from a minute or two to as long as 10 or 15 minutes for the truly engrossing activities. 

Yes, I would dub pre-school a success.  :)



(Our favorite family past time is listening to Jake laugh!  It's the best sound in the WORLD!)


Now...if I can only motivate myself to get him potty trained.....

No comments: